Thursday, June 5, 2014

Mom Shorts-DIY

So I have been debating on whether or not to try the high waisted jean short trend for the longest time, and since we will be attending an outdoor country concert this weekend (Birthday Bash for all you Michiganders) I figured now was as good a time as any to try it out.  I had been eyeballing a few pairs from Urban Outfitters, but my creative side wouldn't allow me to buy them. 
Because
I could totally make those.
And so I did.
And here's how :)

Go to the nearest Thrift store and pick out the best mom jeans you can find.  The ones with the long crotch/long zipper-acid wash if you can find it ;)

These are the pair I found- for $4.99
Make sure you try them on! Mom jeans sit differently!


Step .5
Secure your children and give them a snack and toys-
Shown here is Adelie with cheese Quesadilla and a hair bow 



Step 1
Try them on and mark with a pen where you want to cut. I drew my line about 2" below the crotch. You would rather cut not enough, than more than enough-you can always trim! Cut one side of the fabric at a time, because you'll want the back slightly longer than the front.

Step 2
Cut in a straight slightly angled (up) line towards the outside hem.  Like I said, you'll want the back about a centimeter longer because when they fray, you don't want booty shorts ;)

Step 3
Fold over your pants cutting the back side of the jeans to match up, remember (once again) that you'll want the back a little longer so don't cute both fabric pieces at the same time!

Step 4
Try on your shorts. Make sure they are even and sit how you want them. Remember they will fray and you'll lose a little length.

Step 5
Make small slits at the bottom to encourage fraying in the wash


Step 6
Make small slits wherever you want there to be fringe


Step 7
You can also use your scissors-(opened) to rub on the jean material and create instant fringe. Don't rub too hard that you create a hole where you don't want one ;)

I got so excited I made two pair
The only other thing left to do is wash them. Once they are washed they start fraying!

Whalahhh! The Mom Short
Previously-the mom jean
Mine are still need a little more distressing and another couple washes, but I am SO excited with how they turned out! :)






2 comments :

  1. Ahhhh, these are so cute! Almost as cute as you two! :-) I've been eyeing them as well but am not so sure I could pull them off. I have a super long torso....not sure if that would help me or hurt me when it comes to this style...bahahaha! You're totally rockin' them though!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. those are really awesome. I have never thought of mom jeans as shorts

    ReplyDelete